The idea behind accreditation when it first began was to give the parents some peace of mind that accredited schools are good and will actually teach your children well. Accreditation is very common for private schools, but it has changed in recent years. It’s not so much about being a great educational institution as it is about following the standards set by the government or the accrediting agency. Accreditation is one of the primary means used to make all schools teach the same curriculum including critical race theory, social-emotional learning, etc. Today, accreditation is no longer a guarantee of a good education.
Your community school doesn’t need to be accredited. Unless you choose to register as a private school and fulfill all the requirements necessary for that, a community school will only be responsible to follow the same
laws in Utah governing homeschooling.
Some of our curriculum sources are accredited and some are not which means you have the choice. We have not noticed that this makes any difference in the quality of education. The greatest deciding factor should be the needs of your students.

AP (Advanced Placement) Classes
AP classes are high school classes with a long test at the end of the year to determine if they will receive college credit. Depending on how a student does on the test, they can earn 3-6 college credits. These are usually history, English, math, and science classes. Most of these classes have very little value anymore as they are limited by the test which has become common-core complaint and full of CRT. 

Colleges don’t care if a student has a public high school degree. Homeschooled students are fairly common now so your community school will not be a problem. Colleges care about the ACT or SAT score as well as service experiences, leadership opportunities, and extracurricular activities. Making sure to include these areas in your community school will help.
Your community school can make a transcript and diploma for each student as they graduate which they can use to apply to colleges. Be aware, almost all colleges are also full of CRT etc.

Concurrent Enrollment
These are classes offered to high school students but students also receive college credit. These classes can help students get college credit faster but don’t really add to their education. If you want your students to have this opportunity, talk to the local public high school. If you DUAL ENROLL your child there, they might be allowed to take just the classes they are interested in.
Dual Enrollment

This is when a student is enrolled part time in the public school and part time at home or with your community school. What each student is allowed to do through dual enrollment depends on the school and school district. Some students take all the fun class like band or choir or shop. Others take language or AP classes. Just be aware that this will put them back into CRT etc.

Utah law treats any student not in a public, private, or charter school as a homeschooled student. Utah does not allow a community school or homeschool graduate to be given a diploma from a public school saying they graduated. However, Utah does allow parents, including community school groups, to issue their own diplomas for their students who fulfilled all their requirements for graduation. Make your graduating seniors a diploma from your school. They are completely legitimate in Utah.
If you use an accredited program, your student will graduate with an accredited degree from that program’s institution.

How to vet your own curriculum
As you begin your community school, you will often hear different curriculum suggestions and ideas. It is very important to do your own research on these. Vet them, read through their websites, speak to someone who uses them already, and even look through some of the resources themselves. Here is a list of helpful suggestions as you begin your research.
  • Read through the website—all of it      
  • Notice if it says “common-core compliant,” that means stay away.
  • Check out the sample lessons
  • Looking at reviews is especially important—on their website and others; independent reviews are good too but not those from public school teachers etc.
  • Look at the cost—make sure to notice the entire cost. This might include numerous books, notebooks, workbooks, and manuals. It might also include monthly fees or other materials left for teachers to purchase for their classes.
  • Some publishers will send you samples; ask if that is an option. Some offer free things online as well; take advantage of that.

If your community school doesn’t have sports programs, your students can join those of the nearby public school. Talk to the administration about what is required. Often registration for dual-enrollment is necessary but not necessarily taking any classes. This depends on each individual school district and even the school itself. If sports are something your children want to do, make sure and stay friendly with your school district. A good relationship will go a long way.

Utah Legal Code 
  • Minors Exempt from School Attendance Law - 53G-6-204 
  • Dual Enrollment Law - 53G-6-702 
  • Dual Enrollment Rule - R277-438 
  • Private School and Home School Students' Participation in Extracurricular Activities in a Public School Law - 53G-6-703 
  • Pupil Accounting Rule - R277-419 
  • Private School, Home School, Electronic High School (EHS), and Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Student Participation in Public School Achievement Tests Rule - R277-604